If you hadn't already read from previous posts, I'm a big fan of a high protein + healthy fat breakfast. It's nutritious and keeps me going for ages. Whilst I love cereal and toast as much as anyone else, we all know that cereals are loaded with sugar and usually offer little nutritional value. Toast and peanut butter is delicious but I'll be reaching for a snack quite quickly after I've had it. I actually made this granola for my Dad! He is also a full supporter of eggs for breakfast (and sometimes bacon....) but if he's rushing out the door in the morning he literally loves having Dorset Muesli. Whilst this is better than some other brands it's still going to get him on the sugar band rollercoaster early doors.
So I created this granola for him and want to share it with you too as a healthy alternative to other cereals/granolas/mueslis if you are in a rush in the mornings or need a snack on the go. It's a mixture of nuts, seeds and spices roasted in coconut oil so full of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. I usually eat it as a snack with some 0% fat Fage greek yogurt which is high in protein. If you feel like you really need some grains you can add some organic oats.
Makes about a weeks worth when using 3 pudding spoons of granola mix a day. Whilst this is *healthy* it's high in fat so don't be toooo liberal with servings. A little is very filling but if I'm really hungry I'll just increase the yogurt serving I have with it or add lots of fresh blueberries/strawberries/raspberries.
- Black sesame seeds - 4 pudding spoons
- Pumpkin seeds - 4 pudding spoons
- Sunflower seeds - 4 pudding spoons
- Flaked Almonds - 2 pudding spoons
- Walnuts (crushed in pestel & mortar) - 2 pudding spoons
- Coconut flakes (shredded & unsweetened) - 3 pudding spoons
- Flax (must be milled) - 1 pudding spoon
- Chia Seeds (white or black) - 2 pudding spoons
- Cacao powder - 1 pudding spoon
- Cinnamon - to taste but don't be shy
- Coconut oil for cooking - 1 pudding spoon
- Pre-heat fan oven to 175 degrees C
- Put the coconut oil in a flat deep-ish oven dish and heat to a liquid
- Bring the dish out of the oven and add the rest of the ingredients coating in the oil
- Put back in the oven
- Bake for 20 mins in total, bringing the mixture out and stirring at least every 5 mins so it doesn't burn
- Allow to cool and store (and eat.....!)
Granola mix on a bed of 0% Fage Greek Yogurt topped with Goji berries. You could eat with almond milk as an alternative with fresh berries! You can even eat this mixture without baking....experiment & add/take away any nuts and seeds and add any spices you think will work!